you have already made a range of simple scatter cushions and are keen for a new challenge,
then 'advanced cushions' is the project for you!
infinite design possibilities when it comes to making advanced cushions. You will have
great fun experimenting with the skills you've already acquired and will have the
opportunity to perfect some new skills along the way. To get you started and to help you
avoid mishaps we've pulled together a checklist of things to think about when designing
your advanced cushions. These are short extracts from Simply Furnishings' practical sewing
ADVANCED CUSHIONS that
we have adapted to give you a taster of things to come!
covered 6 Design Groups in our new 'Advanced Cushions Guide' and each group can be adapted
to suit your own individual design flair. If you have ever tried to buy these types of
cushions in the high street you will know how difficult it is to find your chosen fabric
or colour, alternatively, you may need to have them purpose made which can prove very
|These 6 design
groups, some more broad than others, will cover all of the design combinations that you
- Advanced Scatter Cushions
- Frilled and pleated scatter cushions
- Bolster and round cushions
- Box cushions with a zip insert along a band or
- Squab cushions
- Cushions using mitres or borders
|Take some time out to plan your
project thoroughly before you start. Follow our simple step-by-step rules to avoid mishaps
along the way!
|Making an advanced
cushion means investing a lot of your own valuable time in something that will give you
pleasure to look at and to use, but you will also want the cushion to keep it's 'look' for
a long time. Choosing a fabric you like is important, but stop a moment and consider the
following questions. If you have thought carefully about all these issues, then you will
be well on the way to success!
- Is the colour and pattern right both for the setting and the
size and style of cushion?
- Is the weight and texture right for the job the cushion is
- Will the fabric wear well and either wash or dry clean
- If you are seaming different fabrics together, will they all
react and wear in the same way?
- Is the cushion intended to be functional or for purely
the right filling
|What filling will suit
your project? Once you have moved on from simple scatter cushion pads, the choice of
filling is a lot wider. Make sure you buy the right filling to ensure your cushion has a
- Foam for seating pads available in different weights
- Polyester and stockinet for exterior wrappings these
make trying to insert a box pad into a cover much easier.
- Feather and fibre great for upholstery jobs.
|I hope you are now
feeling inspired to have a go yourself! If the more practical side to making advanced
cushions seems a little daunting, don't worry. All of the skills you need are clearly and
simply outlined in our latest sewing guide. Teach Yourself Advanced Cushions is
available to buy online now for just £5.99 (around $8.39) and can be delivered worldwide.